Sunday, May 4, 2014

How to Utilize these Beautiful Items called Mason Jars

I have a wonderful relationship with mason jars. I am kind of obsessed with them because they can be utilized in every part of your life. Today I am going to be showing you the three ways I use mason jars to organize my oodles of things.


Throw it in!


The most simple and straightforward way to use a mason jar is to just put stuff in it. I was organizing my bathroom the other day when I stumbled upon my flossers that I use every night before bed. These flossers are very colorful and bright, and, when added to my space, really added some fun and excitement. By displaying the flossers in a mason jar, it makes me more excited to floss my teeth, compared to retrieving them from their boring, original packaging.



If you like it, then you should put some glitter on it!


always love a good BeyoncĂ© reference, and this time is no exception. This quick DIY is great because it can make anything look cute, especially when it isn’t very visually pleasing to begin with. 


Here’s what you need for this DIY:


1. A mason jar

2. Mod-Podge

3. Foam Brush

4. Glitter

5. Newspaper


If you don’t have any Mod-Podge, no worries! All you have to do take two parts Elmer’s Glue and one part water. If you have no idea what the heck I just said, use 1 cup of Elmer’s Glue and ½ of water for a good amount of “Mod- Podge”


Here’s three quick steps to make this glittery item:


1. Lay down your newspaper. Take your foam brush and Mod-Podge and apply the Mod-Podge on the inside of your mason jar.



2. Once your Mod-Podge is coated evenly throughout the jar, pour your glitter on the inside. Move your jar around to make sure that every nook and cranny is covered. Pour any excess glitter onto the newspaper, and then back into the glitter bottle (money saving trick people!).




3. Let the mason jar dry upside down so that any glitter remains will fall onto the newspaper. Once everything is dried (wait about 1-2 hours) you can paint on a second layer of Mod-Podge with a foam brush to seal in the glitter. This step is optional, but I recommend doing this if you will be using this mason jar to store something you don’t want to get glitter on.


And here it is in action! I used mine to store a bunch of pencils I had lying around in my desk. 


Yes, please enjoy deeply those old pictures of me (That picture was taken 2 years ago so no judgement!!)

I’m bringing glitter back… and all the jars don’t know how to act


This last mason jar DIY is a rendition on the previous tutorial, but with a twist. This time, we will be covering only half the jar in glitter, and the other half in spray paint.


What you need to creative this adorable design:


1. Mason jar (shocker!)

2. Spray paint in the color of your choice (I used a Tiffany Blue)

3. Glitter in the color of your choice (I used white)

4. Mod-Podge (Refer to recipe in the above if you do not have Mod-Podge in your possession.)

5. Foam Brush

6. Well-ventilated area (Preferably outdoors)

7. Paper

8. Tape

9. Something to cover the ground with (I used cardboard and paper bags)


Tips on how to spray paint:


1. When you spray paint, make sure any nearby objects are covered.

2. That your area is well-ventilated so that the fumes don’t encompass your entire being. (Outside is by far the best option!)

3. Cover the ground with newspaper, cardboard, paper bags, etc. (Just to make sure your grass or driveway doesn’t get ruined!)



I have to say, for my first time spray painting, I think I did pretty well. Make sure when you are spraying, you are spraying from at least a foot because I sprayed too close, and the paint started dripping. 

And now a few simple steps:


1. Lay down your mason jar on top of your newspaper, face down, with the lid removed, unless, of course, you want it spray painted, and if so, go to town! Make sure you are spray painting on the outside as well. This will show off the company logo the best, and I personally think it adds a nice touch.

2. After you have spray painted the jar, let it dry for about an hour or two. This will make sure the paint won’t flake when you put on the glitter and Mod-Podge.



This is what the jar looked like after it dried from spray painting. It doesn't have a perfect coat, but this was my first time spray painting, so I think it looks pretty good. 


3. You will want to lay down some paper to catch all of the glitter, as well as creating the straight line for the glitter, as tape all around the jar will peel off the paint. I wrapped a piece of paper all the way around the jar and then taped the edges together so that it stayed.




4. I also suggest that you put on the glitter in sections, so that the glittering process in and of itself is just more simple. I slapped on some Mod-Podge with my foam brush, and then brought on the glitter. If you want your glitter to be sealed, I suggest that you put another layer of Mod-Podge on top after the glitter has dried.



And here it is in action! I used it to store my billions of hair-ties that I had lying around. This really made for a cute touch to my bathroom counter. 



I hoped you learned some new ways to corral your junk via mason jars! Mason jars are definitely my new obsession and I  will be using them a lot this spring and summer! 

XoXo~ Megan :)

No comments:

Post a Comment